Ask the Eden Labs team questions on our Telegram Group and receive updates, analysis, and research insights.
When analyzing a project, the Eden Labs team looks for projects that do something unique or do it much better than its competition. Quality projects should be able to explain complex ideas simplified to their audience. In addition, projects that rely heavily on a broad user base have to have an incentive for the first ten people to join the network before a million users is ever achievable. No project will succeed if it requires a million participants to bring any value to its users.
By empowering users with total control over their data, KindAds is a new kind of digital advertising platform, bridging the gap between users, advertisers, and publishers. In addition, through the use of quality and reputation scores for publishers and domains, KindAds provides a ranking system; this ensures, safe, quality transactions between advertisers and publishers.
Traditional digital advertising is a complicated business. Even though pop-up display ads are annoying and intrusive, they have become the industry standard. The modern digital advertising industry requires both producers and advertisers to consign their revenue streams to intermediaries who have no incentive to act justly and honestly. The two main issues plaguing digital advertising are:
Publishers have no way of demonstrating the actual quality of their subscriber base; this makes it difficult to compare and value publishers accurately.
There is no marketplace for publishers to sell access to their subscriber base.
End users employ adblockers that limit the effectiveness of native ads; there is no incentive for end users to interact with ads.
However, despite these difficulties, it’s also important to recognize that Facebook and Google earned a combined $35 billion in 2007 from digital ad revenue, accounting for 60.4% of the total market. These two giants focus on the native ad market by implementing ads on the webpage itself. The fact is, this market will be challenging to disrupt; for many advertisers, Google and Facebook is a fine option and has proven quite profitable.
By removing the middlemen and providing the correct platform, Kind Ads allows publishers to capitalize on the actual value of their subscriber base. The advertiser gains access to that user base with non-intrusive email ads and push notifications. This is in contrast to other ad forms, such as native ads. Push-notification and email ads are the highest converting ads and are a market not dominated by Facebook or Google.
The vital elements of the push-notification market:
Users can sign up and choose the amount of personal data to reveal. The more information disclosed, the more potential earnings in KIND coins.
A Domain Trust Score (DTS) will be used to measure how effective a publisher is at reaching their audience.
The Kind Ads platform will provide a link between advertisers and content creators so that relevant content can be tailored to a specific brand.
The bottom line is that Kind Ads provides a blockchain solution for the digital industry that empowers users by giving them control over their personal information. Kind Ads streamlines the digital advertising process for both publishers and advertisers. Kind Ads eliminates the middlemen in the advertising economy; this allows advertisers and publishers to interact with each other in an open and reputation-based marketplace.
The technology of a platform carefully aligns the actors, incentives, and rewards. A well-constructed marketplace will result in an Adam Smith style system, one where everyone benefits from the pursuance of self-interest. Misaligned incentives, bad governance systems, and poorly optimized features will lead to winners and losers, and the collapse of the platform.
The technology behind Kind Ads is specially designed to handle and interact with the four main components of the digital advertising industry. These components are Publishers, Advertisers, Users, and App Partners. The technology behind the project is translatable and straightforward. By providing a decentralized quality and reputation score for domains and publishers, Kind Ads ensures that the quality of the advertising content is always high. Kind Ads secures the privacy of its user base by providing them with options. Users can opt-out of ads from specific publishers or even entirely when they don’t wish to receive any advertising content at all. The tokenized rewards pool also rewards users for their data contributions: the more personal information a user chooses to provide, the more KIND tokens they will receive as compensation.
Kind Ads users use a Chrome plug-in which seamlessly tracks their site visits along with frequency. This plug-in also tracks a user’s opt-in/opt-out status for each publisher on the network and allows users to view and spend platform rewards. Users also provide identity management tools through projects like Civic.
Publishers receive a code snippet for their website to help track data and a WordPress plugin to do the same on WordPress sites. Kind Ads created a particular Chrome plug-in specifically for publishers to manage their data and settings. Inside the settings, publishers can choose or block advertisers on the platform, pick app partners to integrate with, and view their metrics and earnings. Advertisers also receive a similar plug-in from Kind Ads with the additional functionality of displaying ad performance and uploading and managing ads. App Partners will receive an implementation guide as well as a code snippet for easy integration into the Kind Ads ecosystem.
Essentially, users are rewarded for sharing their information on the Kind Ads platform. Advertisers pay publishers and app partners to advertise for them. Reputation scores for publishers ensure that advertisers know which platforms are the most relevant and advantageous. The value is thus retained within the ecosystem and ensures that advertisers see more reach for their dollars, publishers (outside of Facebook and Google) benefit, and end users are incentivized to disable the ad blocker and share their data.
The technology behind KindAds is simple to understand and the project provides the necessary technology for each component of the ecosystem to thrive with one another. Most importantly, it focuses on a small enough market, outside of the realm of Facebook and Google – push ads and email ads. The designed system is much less intrusive and should appeal to end users as well, not only advertisers. Once KindAds begins to grow it will be interesting to see if KindAds expands support to browsers other than Chrome. Overall however, KindAds offers a strong value proposition and a well-designed ecosystem.
- Q1 2018
- On-Boarding initial launch partners
- Private Domain Score
- Push notifications offering
- Q2 2018
- Global Out-Put List
- Public reputation scores for domains
- Q3 2018
- Rewards Pool for contributors
- Launch of solo email platform
- Q4 2018
- Launch of Chatbot Platform
- Launch of Publisher Staking System
- Q1 2019
- Launch App Partner Platform
- Launch Bounty Program
The roadmap provided by Kind Ads in the whitepaper is detailed and describes each upcoming feature that the project will be launching or completing. The push notification system is already functional; by the end of 2018, the second component – emails – should be complete as well. There are several developments planned that will continue to strengthen the Kind Ads ecosystem. The Kind Ads platform is advanced in its development which contributes strongly to the value proposition of the project.
Supply: 61 Million KIND
Current Marketcap: TBD
- 31 Million in Private Sale
- 9 Million for Advisors
- 450,000 Tokens for Team
- Remaining tokens are held in the back office
Intrinsic Value of the token to the ecosystem: The KIND token will be used by users when requesting to opt-in or opt-out from a publisher in the ecosystem. The token is also used by advertisers purchasing ads from publishers on the network. The token is used to pay publishers on a daily basis and tokens are also allocated to the daily reward pool for publishers, users, and app providers.
The market valuation – and thus, the relative value – of Kind Ads’ tokens remains to be seen. However, the KIND token has an intrinsic value to the Kind Ads ecosystem and its value should appreciate as the project grows and accumulates users, publishers, and advertisers.
The world of digital advertising is saturated with publishers and advertisers fighting for users’ attention. Traditional advertising on the web is mostly controlled by a few large companies who own a wealth of users’ personal information, making them highly sought after by advertisers seeking users. Blockchain technology empowers users by giving them sovereignty over their data and the ability to leverage it for their monetary gain. Within the digital advertising space, Kind Ads’ most significant competition is BAT (Basic Attention Token), AdToken, and AdEX.
As with Kind Ads, the projects mentioned above are all built on Ethereum and share similar token incentive mechanisms. Tokens utilize the operational triangle between publishers, advertisers, and users. It is essential for publishers and advertisers to be transparent with each other to optimize their results and for the user to serve as the deciding factor which promotes or demotes ads. It is in these specifications that the projects differ.
As discussed before, Kind Ads differs in the kind of advertising it enables as it focuses on mail and push notifications, while others like BAT and AdToken continue to rely on browser-based interactions.
It would be foolish to ignore the traditional advertising giants and their looming presence over the industry. Google, Facebook, and Amazon are responsible for the lion’s share of the ad market. Their reach and insight through data gathering make them multi-billion dollar corporations. These companies have become so ingrained in our society that many of us don’t even think twice when handing over our personal information for some momentary internet services. These network giants will not fade away overnight or give ground quickly, but projects such as Kind Ads aim to capitalize on potential ad revenue streams overlooked by the big players. By focusing on email, push notifications, chat and in the future, native ads, Kind Ads will leverage these ignored advertising solutions. This provides a clear path forward for Kind Ads as it looks to become a critical supplementary solution for advertisers and publishers alongside Google, Facebook, and Amazon.
AdEx Vs KindAds
- AdEx is focusing on the entertainment industry and video streaming services while KindAds is focusing on email, push notifications and chats.
- AdEx takes measures to prevent Sybil attacks on the network by implementing an algorithm that tracks the possible legitimacy of every user. KindAds uses a reputation system as a defense.
- AdEx plans to shift the project onto the NEO platform while KindAds has no stated plans t0 deviate from Ethereum.
- AdEx is using IPFS to host ad-related data such as images and video, KindAds does not mention how they will store ad-related data.
BAT Vs KindAds
- BAT is built to be used with a web browser named Brave. Users will need to adopt this browser in order to use BAT. Kind Ads is not restricted to a specific browser.
- BAT focuses on monetizing attention, where advertisers pay and publishers earn based on how much attention an advertisement is given. There are questions associated with this concept. It’s unclear how attention is measured and whether it’s based on the time spent viewing the ad or based on how many ad pixels are in view in proportion to the relevant content. Kind Ads does not directly try to monetize attention like BAT.
- BAT uses machine learning to ensure that users only see the most relevant ads so that advertisers can be sure they are reaching the correct audience.
- BAT focuses on web advertising while Kind Ads focuses on email, push notifications, and chats.
Similar to BAT, AdTokens also focuses on browser-based advertising. Kind Ads’ use of reputation scores for domains and publishers is also novel, providing more accurate analytics for advertisers in their search for the best platforms.
The digital advertising industry is so saturated that a good set of partnerships and some proprietary advantage could be the key to early adoption of the tech itself. Because of their strong marketplace design and focus on a whole different area of advertising, KindAds could coexist with other competitive companies such as BAT. As a result, KindAds is well positioned to become a leader in its area of the digital advertising industry. The key will in be securing additional partnerships.
In the rapid, challenging, and dynamic industry of DLT startups, the team is an imperative component to a project’s success. The frequent need for pivoting and the challenges of a new industry necessitate a team with a strong background in distributed ledger technology, technical and engineering educations, and proven reputations. Team bios, LinkedIns, past work experience, and publishing work are all reviewed and analyzed.
- Saulo Medeiros
- CEO & Co-Founder
- Co-Founder of NPBR International LTDA, an agency helping large corporations with their digital industry needs
- Digital marketer and analytics expert
- Experience with digital projects and interactive platforms since 1997
- Rafael Mayrink
- COO & Co-Founder
- Co-Founder and Director of Operations at NPBR International LTDA
- Investor & Marketing Advisor at conta.MOBI
- COO at Neil Patel Brazil
- Jaime Sánchez
- Lead Blockchain Developer
- Full Stack Developer
- IT professional and entrepreneur with more than 20 years of experience
- Enrique Chavez
- Lead Developer
- CTO of Blockliss, a full-stack and blockchain consulting company
- Full-stack developer with over 15 years of experience
- Keith Linder
- Product Manager
- Extensive background in management and digital marketing
- Jason Caldwell
- Web Designer
- Talented web designer with work featured on Mashable, The Atlantic, Business Insider, Forbes, and many others.
- Jeremy Hood
- Operations Manager
- Formal education in accounting, with experience in marketing and management
- Has been focusing on digital marketing since 2016 with an emphasis on blockchain technologies
- Vasil Azarov
- Growth Manager
- Founder of “Growth Marketing Conference” that has been in Forbes and Huffington Post
- Leury Pichardo
- Marketing Manager
- Has over 10 years experience in digital marketing
- Ken Roberts
- Director of M&A & Partnerships
- Leads marketing teams for technology startups that have been acquired by Cisco, IGT and Wired Investors
- Quinn Huffman
- Investor Relations
- Strong IT background
- Worked for some of the largest companies in North America
- Worked as a database developer and IT specialist
The team behind Kind Ads is comprised of experienced professionals in the marketing industry. Their CEO, Saulo Medeiros, is a successful digital marketer and has experience working with digital platforms since the late 90s. Their CTO, Jamie Sánachez, is well versed in technology, specifically cloud computing and digital-product sales. The project’s COO, Rafael Mayrink, has an extensive record of working in executive positions within various companies. The additional team members provide a wealth of experience and talent as well. Overall the Kind Ads team is strong, well-rounded, and experienced.
Advisors serve important roles in projects, bringing legitimacy, expert guidance, and unique outlooks. However, there is a market for paid advisory roles, and thus, these positions are looked at skeptically. Every effort is made to confirm any listed advisors through outside sources.
- Neil Patel
- Very prominent marketer. Neil Patel’s involvment with KindAds is impressive
- Founder of Crazy Egg, Hello Bar, and others. Highly regarded within the advertising space
- Awarded 30 under 30 by President Barack Obama
- Saber Aria
- Co-Founder of Blockchain World Conferences
- Trevor Koverko
- Founder & CEO of Polymath, a blockchain project converting traditional securities into digital assets
- Nadav Dakner
- Founder and CEO of InboundJunction, an Israeli based marketing firm that works closely with a variety of blockchain projects including QTUM, Endor, and DaoStack.
- Jay Westerdal
- Founder of Domain Tools
- Jonathan Cronstedt
- President of Kajabi
- Eric Siu
- Founder of Single Grain
- Caio Beleza
- Partner of NPBR International LTDA
The Kind Ads advisors are an impressive group with real relevance to the target market. Neil Patel is a superstar within the industry and has taken a very active role with Kind Ads. While less relevant to marketing, Trevor Koverko is an impressive entrepreneur to have on the advising team; his project, PolyMath, is well regarded within the industry. Nadav Dakner is also an excellent advisor to have as CEO of the highly successful, blockchain-centered PR firm, InBound Junction.
Partners, Integrations & Investor Analysis
Partnerships represent both institutional investors as well as enterprise involvement. As with advisors, partnerships and integrations legitimize projects. A focus is placed on projects engaged with enterprises and corporations within their respective industry.
- A market leader in push notification technology, providing an easy-to-use platform to manage and acquire subscribers.
- A push notification platform for web and mobile, used by more than 10,000 clients, with customers ranging from Domino’s Pizza, Ubisoft, and Lenovo.
- The worlds largest marketing automation platform and email marketing service. MailChimp has a team of over 800 people based out of Atlanta, Brooklyn, and Oakland.
- An online email marketing application that enables designers to create, send, manage, and track branded emails.
- An email marketing service provider with over 100,000 small business clients worldwide.
KindAds has aligned itself with some key players in the advertising industry by offering integrations into the popular email and push notification services used by many businesses around the globe. By doing so, KindAds has easy access to these top publishers’ subscriber bases, helping them grow an organic ecosystem of publishers, advertisers, and users. However, it will be important for KindAds to expand beyond these companies to even larger partnerships.
- Competition is abundant – although none are currently engaged directly in push notification and emails, the opportunity always exists for a competitor to make an entrance into Kind Ads’ specific field.
- Lack of social media presence – the project’s Twitter is not as active as it could be. The project is not present on any other major social media platform such as Facebook or YouTube – this will limit the network Kind Ads is able to cultivate.
- No public information about their private sale; no ICO was held.
- Will there be enough incentive for massive amounts of users to offer their personal information for sale? People offer their personal info to centralized platforms (Facebook, Google, etc.) b/c they receive a service in return (email, Youtube, Facebook, etc.). Will KIND tokens be enough incentive? This will be heavily dependent on the user base of the platform and the value users will receive from sharing their information.
Kind Ads is equipped with a reliable and experienced team, strong partnerships, and a focused vision to redesign the digital advertising industry. They have powerful advisors with relevant experience from within the digital marketing world.
Kind Ads’ focus on email, push notifications, and chat sets it apart from its competition and allows it to focus on creating a complementary protocol to the traditional advertising systems implemented by Google, Facebook and Amazon. This ensures that Kind Ads is viewed as a beneficial asset rather than as competition by the other players in the industry.
The Kind Ads project is far along in its development; the platform is about 50% functional with several key features still under construction. This advanced level of development allows the team to focus on creating the essential partnerships with publishers like MailChimp and Subscribers.com. Integrations with platforms such as these are critical for Kind Ads’ success and growth as they are the link between traditional and decentralized ecosystems.
The central area of concern surrounding Kind Ads relates to the perceived value of the KIND token. The question arises, will users value the KIND token enough to offer up their personal information in return? Traditionally, users surrender their personal information for a service in return, whether it be email, online shopping, or cat videos. The point is that users expect immediate and instant gratification and have not demonstrated much apprehension over comprising their data in return. Potential liquidity bottlenecks (as are common in the cryptocurrency market) might dissuade users from viewing Kind Ads tokens as the preferred method of compensation.
The rest of 2018 will be instrumental for Kind Ads as they roll out the final features of the platform. Overall, Kind Ads is well positioned to carve itself a niche within the digital advertising industry. After securing this niche, they will be able to progress to more competitive areas of digital marketing. Their focus on overlooked advertising streams will help them develop a fair and robust platform without the looming menace of competitors curbing their initial growth.
Did you like our analysis of KindAds?
Disclaimer: This is not investment advice, merely our opinion and analysis on the project. Do your own research.